It is always good to review the factors that impact decisions to have school, delay the start of school, or cancel school.
When it comes to cold weather…
- We get concerned when the actual temps get to -10 or lower and the wind chill gets in the -25 range or below.
- We also monitor National Weather Service and note the difference between an “Advisory” and a “Warning“
- We always check forecast to see if conditions are expected to improve, stay the same, or worsen throughout the day.
- I always visit with our Transportation Director, Mike Wing… We can almost always get our buses started because we keep them plugged in at night. In cold weather our greater concern is having a fuel line gel up when the buses are out on a route. We have radios on our buses but frostbite can occur within 30 minutes when temperatures are as extreme as they can be.
- Finally, I always confer with my superintendent colleagues in the area to see what they are thinking. We do so much sharing of programs that we need to make a collective decision.
When it comes to snow, ice and other hazardous driving conditions such as fog…
- Prior to any weather event, we monitor the forecast to get the best information possible. My primary source of information is the National Weather Service in the Quad Cities: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Maquoketa&state=IA&site=DVN&textField1=42.0653&textField2=-90.6661#.Uvj7xyTGCM4
- On mornings when the weather is bad, Transportation Director, Mike Wing and I drive our designated routes.
- We always check forecast to see if conditions are expected to improve, stay the same or worsen throughout the day.
- Finally, I always confer with my superintendent colleagues in the area to see what they are thinking.
Whenever you are wondering if school is delayed or cancelled you can check the following radio or television stations for information:
- KMAQ Radio 95.1 FM 1320 AM
- WHBF Channel 4
- KWQC Channel 6
- WQAD Channel 8
- KGAN Channel 2
- KWWL Channel 7
- KCRG Channel 9
If you have any questions about this topic or others, don’t hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or at