WaMaC to RVC
The Maquoketa Community School Board approved giving Activities Director, Tom Gruenwald, the authority to seek permission to exit the WaMaC Conference and apply to join the River Valley Conference starting in the 2022-23 school year. Discussions were held on and off for approximately two years, and many factors were considered for the past several months, prior to making this decision. Some of those factors were:
The average travel time and distance to school events in the WaMaC vs RVC
- Average cost of travel in the WaMaC vs the RVC
- Amount of school time missed due to travel in the WaMaC vs RVC
- Certified enrollment of schools in the WaMaC vs RVC compared with Maquoketa
- BEDS enrollment of WaMaC schools vs RVC compared with Maquoketa (this is the number that decides what class schools participate- 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A)
- Participation numbers in Maquoketa vs WaMaC and RVC
- Competition levels of WaMaC and RVC
The Maquoketa School District will be sending a letter to the WaMaC Conference asking to be released from the group. The district will also be sending a letter to the RVC asking for permission to join that conference. If both conferences approve our request, then competition will start in the RVC beginning the fall of the 2022-23 school year.
The Maquoketa School District has appreciated and enjoyed the competition and friendly rivalries that have come about as a result of being associated with the WaMaC Conference. The district looks forward to establishing new friendships and rivalries within the RVC.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this subject, please feel free to contact Activities Director, Tom Gruenwald, at firstname.lastname@example.org