The Iowa Code Chapter 261E has been issued to ensure all students in Iowa have increased and more equal access to courses that have the potential to generate college credit while in high school.  This code provides college credit coursework to high school students by consolidating and standardizing several existing programs.

These programs include:

  • “Concurrent Enrollment” are Clinton Community College courses delivered to Maquoketa High School students during the regular school year for both high school and college credit.
  • Courses offered through the Post-Secondary Enrollment Options program (PSEO) –   By an act of the Iowa legislature, students may enroll for courses at a post-secondary institution.  Funds for this enrollment will be provided by the local school district, provided that the student meets the admissions requirements of that post-secondary institution and that the course(s) taken are not offered by the local district.
  • Courses offered through career academies:
    • Welding Academy
    • Logistics
  • Internet-based and ICN courses offered for college credit

Student Eligibility Criteria

  • Students must take the prerequisites established by Maquoketa High School and Clinton Community College.
  • Students must have attained the approval of the MHS Guidance Counselors and the post-secondary institution in order to register for a course at the post-secondary level.
  • The student must be “proficient” in reading, math, and science as evidenced by the last administration of the Iowa Assessment (41 and above).

The student must meet proficiency set by Clinton Community College on either the ACT or COMPASS Assessment.  If a student is not proficient in one or more of these content areas, the local board may establish “alternative but equivalent” qualifying performance measures to meet this expectation. These measures could include, but are not limited to, additional administrations of the state assessment, assessments provided by the post-secondary institution (an assessment cut score should be provided by the post-secondary institution to determine proficiency), portfolios of student work, student performance rubrics, or end-of-course assessments.  The determination of what is permissible in terms of alternate assessments and equivalent performance lies with the local school district.